SQL is a computer language that is used for storing, manipulating, and retrieving data in a structured format. This language was invented by IBM. Here SQL stands for Structured Query Language. Interacting databases with SQL queries, we can handle a large amount of data. There are several SQL-supported database servers such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, sqlite3 and so on. Data can be stored in a secured and structured format through these database servers. SQL queries are often used for data manipulation and business insights better.
Characteristics of SQL
- Specific syntax and semantics of SQL data definition and data manipulation languages.
- It also provides with basic data structure and operations for designing, assessing, maintaining, controlling and protecting SQL databases.
- Portability of database definition and application is also provided. Applications can be moved from one machine to another.
- IS professionals share a common language and reduce training costs.
- Professionals can become proficient in its use and increase the productivity.
- It provides with longevity.
- It provides with reduced dependence on single vendor.
Rules to write commands:
- Table names cannot exceed 20 characters.
- Name of the table must be unique.
- Field names also must be unique.
- The field list and filed length must be enclosed in parentheses.
- The user must specify the field length and type.
- The field definitions must be separated with commas.
- SQL statements must end with a semicolon.
Advantage of SQL
No coding needed
In the standard SQL, it is very easy to manage the database system. It doesn’t require a substantial amount of code to manage the database system.
Using the SQL queries, the user can quickly and efficiently retrieve a large amount of records from a database.
Well defined standards
Long established are used by the SQL databases that are being used by ISO and ANSI.
SQL can be used in laptop, PCs, server and even some mobile phones.
Multiple data view
Using the SQL language, the users can make different views of the database structure.
SQL is a domain language used to communicate with the database. It is also used to receive answers to the complex questions in seconds.