Recruitment and Selection is an important operation in HRM, designed to maximize employee strength in order to meet the employer’s strategic goals and objectives. It is a process of sourcing, screening, shortlisting and selecting the right candidates for the required vacant positions. This is a brief introductory tutorial that explains different methods of hiring and how to make effective and efficient utilization of Recruitment and Selection. In addition, it also explains the best recruitment practices for specific requirements.
Recruitment is a process of identifying, screening, shortlisting and hiring potential resource for filling up the vacant positions in an organization. It is a core function of Human Resource Management.
Recruitment is the process of choosing the right person for the right position and at the right time. Recruitment also refers to the process of attracting, selecting, and appointing potential candidates to meet the organization’s resource requirements.
Importance of Recruitment
Recruitment is one of the most fundamental activities of the HR team. If the recruitment process is efficient, then
- The organization gets happier and more productive employees
- Attrition rate reduces.
- It builds a good workplace environment with good employee relationships.
- It results in overall growth of the organization.
Here is a list that shows the purpose and importance of Recruitment in an organization −
- It determines the current and future job requirement.
- It increases the pool of job at the minimal cost.
- It helps in increasing the success rate of selecting the right candidates.
- It helps in reducing the probability of short term employments.
- It meets the organization’s social and legal obligations with regards to the work force.
- It helps in identifying the job applicants and selecting the appropriate resources.
- It helps in increasing organizational effectives for a short and long term.
- It helps in evaluating the effectiveness of the various recruitment techniques.
- It attracts and encourages the applicants to apply for the vacancies in an organization.
- It determines the present futures requirements of the organization and plan according.
- It links the potential employees with the employers.
- It helps in increasing the success ratio of the selection process of prospective candidates.
- It helps in creating a talent pool of prospective candidates, which enables in selecting the right candidates for the right job as per the organizational needs.
Selection is the process of picking or choosing the right candidate, who is most suitable for a vacant job position in an organization. In others words, selection can also be explained as the process of interviewing the candidates and evaluating their qualities, which are required for a specific job and then choosing the suitable candidate for the position.
The selection of a right applicant for a vacant position will be an asset to the organization, which will be helping the organization in reaching its objectives.
Advantages of Selection
A good selection process offers the following advantages−
- It is cost-effective and reduces a lot of time and effort.
- It helps avoid any biasing while recruiting the right candidate.
- It helps eliminate the candidates who are lacking in knowledge, ability, and proficiency.
- It provides a guideline to evaluate the candidates further through strict verification and reference-checking.
- It helps in comparing the different candidates in terms of their capabilities, knowledge, skills, experience, work attitude, etc.
A good selection process helps in selecting the best candidate for the requirement of a vacant position in an organization.
Difference between Recruitment and Selection
The major differences between Recruitment and Selection are as follows:
|Recruitment is defined as the process of identifying and making the potential candidates to apply for the jobs.||Selection is defined as the process of choosing the right candidates for the vacant positions.|
|Recruitment is called as a positive process with its approach of attracting as many candidates as possible for the vacant jobs||
Selection is called as a negative process with its elimination or rejection of as many candidates as possible for identifying the right candidate for the position.