The internet has become so widespread that if even for one hour it stops working, it will cost billions of money. The internet has made our life easier and comfortable. It has become the core of our everyday work as we send emails and messages over the internet, buy and sell things online and watch videos, movies, listen to music, pictures etc. Educational and research material is also available on the internet making it easier to collect information.
People should always be aware of the dangers of the internet and employ certain measure so that you or somebody you care for doesn’t get taken advantage or harassed while using the internet. Children are especially vulnerable to the dangers of the internet and can face threats like cyberbullying, online predators, inappropriate content etc. Approximately 35 percent of teens in the US have admitted that they have witnessed cyberbullying and online predators that it has become a dire situation.
Cyberbullying is the most common threat that you may face while using the internet, especially on Social Networking sites. On these sites spreading false rumors about someone is relatively very easy. Also, people can post anonymous posts about someone on various sites without revealing their own identity. Cyberbullies send insulting and hateful messages to their target, spread lies about them and posts nasty comments on social networks making the bullied unable to face the society.
2) Online Predators
Apart from cyberbullying, the threat of cyber or online predators is very immanent on social network or gaming sites. Sexual harassment or abuse is very common where people stalk kids and take advantage of their innocence and make them indulge in illicit and dangerous behavior on and offline.
3) Theft of personal information
Everything that you post on social networks is permanent and unlike a letter it can’t be torn or burned. Today’s youth don’t understand the damage a random picture or post they uploaded on social networks can affect their life in future. Also if your social account is hacked, the hacker can know all your personal information and harass you. If your bank or credit card details get leaked, you can suffer extensive damage.
4) Pornography and other inappropriate content
Internet is filled with adult and inappropriate content that can steal the innocence and morality of your children. You can find links to adult websites on social media and other sites that your children may like to visit. An accidental click on these links can take them on a trip to the filthy and grotesque world of pornography.
Tricking people into clicking malicious and dangerous links are called Phishing. Cybercriminals can use this technique to gather personal information about a person and later blackmailing them into doing something illegal or demand money from them.
Intrusion Detection Risk Management
- Organizations should ensure that all intrusion detection and provision system components are secured appropriately because these systems are often targeted by attackers who want to prevent them from detecting attacks or want to gain access to sensitive information in the intrusion detection and prevention system, such as host configurations and known vulnerabilities.
- Organizations should consider using multiple types of intrusion detection and prevention technologies to achieve more comprehensive and accurate detection and prevention of malicious activity. The four primary types of intrusion detection and prevention technologies – network-based, wireless, network behavior analysis and host-based – each offer fundamentally different information gathering, logging, detection and prevention capabilities.
- Organizations planning to use multiple types of intrusion detection and prevention technologies or multiple products of the same technology type should consider whether or not the systems should be integrated. Direct intrusion detection and prevention system integration most often occurs when an organization uses multiple products from a single vendor, by having a single console that can be used to manage and monitor the multiple products. Some products can also mutually share data, which can speed the analysis process and help users to better prioritize threats.
- Before evaluating intrusion detection and prevention products, organizations should define the requirements that the products should meet. Evaluators must understand the characteristics of the organization’s system and network environments, so that a compatible intrusion detection and prevention system can be selected that can monitor the events of interest on the systems and/or networks.
- When evaluating intrusion detection and prevention products, organizations should consider using a combination of several sources of data on the products’ characteristics and capabilities. Common product data sources include test lab or real-world product testing, vendor-provided information, third-party product reviews and previous experience from individuals within the organization and trusted individuals at other organizations.
One thought on “Overview of Risks associated with Internet, Intrusion Detection Risk Management”