Production planning cannot be properly ac system of production control. Production control is primarily concerned with orderly flow of materials in the manufacturing process from the beginning (raw state) to the end (the finished products). The following definitions clearly explain the meaning of production control.
Present era is the ‘Era of Quality’.In this age of cutthroat competition and large scale production, only that manufacturer can survive who supplies better quality goods and renders service to-the consumers. In fact quality control has become major consideration before establishing an industrial undertaking. Proper quality control ensures most effective utilisation of available resources and reduction in cost of production.
The word quality control comprises of two words viz., quality and control. It would be appropriate to explain these two words separately to understand clearly the meaning of quality control.
According to Dr. W.K. Spriegel “The quality of a product may be defined as the sum of a number of related characteristics such as shape, dimension, composition, strength, workmanship, adjustment, finish and colour”.
In the words of John D. McIIellan, “Quality is the degree to which a product conforms to specifications and workmanship standards”.
- The brand products build up goodwill or image which ultimately increases sales.
- It helps the manufacturers/ entrepreneurs in fixing responsibility of workers in the production process.
- Quality control also helps in minimizing the costs by increasing efficiency, standardization, working conditions, etc.
- It also enables the entrepreneur to know the cost of his / her product quite in advance which helps him in determining competitive prices of his product.
- Last but not the least; the entrepreneur can confirm whether the product manufactured by him / her is in accordance with the standard set by the Government. It further facilitates the entrepreneur to take necessary actions to comply with the standard set.