Development of Long Range Plans of the MIS
- The plan for development and its implementation is a basic necessity for MIS.
- In MIS the information is recognized as a major resource like capital, time and capacity.
- If information (resource) is to be managed well, it calls upon the management to plan for it and control it for the appropriate use in the organization.
- With the advancement of IT, it is possible to recognize information as a valuable resource like money and capacity.
- It is necessary to link its acquisition, storage, use and disposal as per the business needs for meeting the business objectives.
- So we need MIS flexible enough to deal with the changing information needs of the organization. It should be open system. The designing of such an open system is a complex task.
- It can be achieved if MIS is planned, keeping in view, the plan of the business management of the organization.
Contents of the MIS plan
Long range MIS plan provides direction for the development of the systems, and provides a basis for achieving the specific targets or tasks against a time frame.
|Business goals and objectives||MIS objectives, consistent to the business goals and objectives|
|Business plan and strategy||Information strategy for the business plan implementation playing a supportive role|
|Strategy planning and decision||Architecture of the MIS to support decisions|
|Management plan for execution and control||System development schedule, matching the plan execution|
|Operation plan for the execution||Hardware and software plan for the procurement and the implementation|
MIS plan is linked to the Business plan
MIS Goals & Objectives
Goals are to consider management philosophy, policy constraints, business risks, internal and external environment of the organization and the business
The typical goals are as under
- Provide an online information on the stock, markets and the account balances
- The query processing should not exceed more than 3 sec.
- The focus of the system will be on the end user computing and access facilities
- Information support will be the first in the strategic areas of management such as marketing or service or technology.
Strategy for the Plan achievement
- Development Strategy: An online, a batch, a real time. Technology platform.
- System development strategy: SSAD or OOT. Database VS conventional etc.
- Resources for system development: In house VS external, customised development VS the use of packages.
- Manpower composition: Analyst, programmer skills and know-how.
The architecture of the MIS
It provides a system structure and their input, output and linkages. It also provides handling of systems & subsystems by way of simplification, coupling and decoupling of subsystems
The system development schedule
A schedule is made for the development of the system. Unless the systems are fully developed their integration is not possible.
Hardware and software plan
- Giving due regard to the technical and operational feasibility, the economics if investment is worked out. Then the plan of procurement is made after selecting the hardware and software.
- The selection of the architecture, the approach to the development and choice of hardware and software are the strategic decisions and needs to be taken very carefully.
Following points to consider
The organization’s strategic plan should be the basis for the MIS strategic plan
The IS development schedule should match with the implementation schedule of the business plan
The choice of information technology is a strategic business decision and not a financial decision.