KM strategy is a plan that describes how an organization will manage its information and knowledge better for the benefit of that organization and its stakeholders. A good IKM strategy is closely aligned with the organization’s overall strategy and objectives.
A good, clear KM strategy can help to:
- Increase awareness and understanding of KM in your organisation
- Articulate the business case and identify potential benefits
- Gain senior management commitment
- attract resources for implementation
- Communicate good KM practice
- Give a clear, communicable plan about where you are now, where you want to go, and how to plan to get there
- Give you a basis against which to measure your progress,
There are many ways to approach the development of a KM strategy, as well as many ways of presenting the strategy document itself. There is no ‘one size fits all’. Larger organizations will probably need a detailed, formal strategy document whereas for a smaller organization something briefer and less formal might be more appropriate.