An Information System is generally integrated and co-ordinate a network of components, which combine together to convert data into information. The information system provides access of information when it is required. The information system is a set of the component which generally helps a system.
Resources of Information System:
There are 5 resources of information system which are given below:
The system components which can physically touch the system unit (tower, desktop, laptop), internal devices and peripheral devices (keyboards and monitors) are called hardware and it is important to remember that basic definition: The hardware are the parts of the computer that are tangible and can be touched.
Peripheral devices are provided in many other ways, but think of them as hardware that surrounds the system unit. These peripherals devices may be connected by wired or wireless technology to the system unit. Generally, peripherals devices communicate with the interior components of the system unit via installed software. The software itself is intangible and can’t be touched physically.
Computer systems, which consist of central processing units containing microprocessors, and variety of interconnected peripheral devices. Examples are microcomputer systems, midrange computer systems, and large mainframe computer systems.
Computer peripherals, which are devices such as a keyboard or electronic mouse for input of data and commands, a video screen or printer for output of information, and magnetic or optical disks for storage of data resources.
We know that, the hardware needs to know what to do, and that is the role of software. The software may be divided into two types: first system software and second application software. Primary piece of system software is the operating system, such as Windows or iOS, which manages the hardware’s operation. Application software is performed for specific tasks, such as handling a spreadsheet, creating a document, or designing a Web page.
The following are the examples of software resources:
- System Software, such as an operating system program, which con controls and supports the operations of a computer system.
- Application Software, which are programs that direct processing for a particular use of computers by end users. Examples are a sales analysis program, a payroll program, and a word processing program.
- Procedures, which are operating instructions for the people who will use an information system. Examples are instructions for filling out a paper form or using a software package.
The human element is the most important component of information system and the people that are needed to run the system and the procedures they follow so that the knowledge in the huge databases and data warehouses can be turned into learning that can interpret what has happened in the past and guide future action.
- End users (also called users or clients) are people who use an information system or the information it produces. They can be accountants, salespersons, engineers, clerks, customers, or managers. Most of us are information system end users.
- IS Specialists being people who develop and operate information systems. They include systems analysts, programmers, computer operators, and other managerial technical, and clerical IS personnel. Briefly, systems analysts design information systems based on the information requirements of end uses, programmers prepare computer programs based on the specifications of systems analysts, and computer operators operate large computer systems.
Data is one of the most important component which is generally store in form of information in a database system and a database is a place where data is collected and from which it can be retrieved by querying it using one or more specific criteria. All types of data store in warehouse without knowing whatever form that an organization needs. The databases and data warehouses have assumed even greater importance in information systems with the emergence of “big data,” a term for the truly massive amounts of data that can be collected and analysed.
The network is defined as a system in which more than the system is connected through a transmission media. It provides an interface to receive a piece of information or send an information. It is also one of the best resources in the information system.