The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global organization that brings together more than 200 leading companies from various sectors to work towards sustainable development. The organization was formed in 1995, with the goal of promoting economic growth while simultaneously ensuring environmental and social sustainability.
The WBCSD focuses on a range of sustainability issues, including climate change, energy, water, food, and ecosystems. The organization’s mission is to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world by collaborating with businesses, governments, and other stakeholders.
The WBCSD provides a platform for businesses to collaborate, share best practices, and work towards a sustainable future. The organization also works on advocacy and policy development to ensure that the voice of the private sector is heard in discussions related to sustainable development.
The WBCSD works on several initiatives and projects to promote sustainable development. Some of its notable initiatives include:
- Low Carbon Technology Partnerships: This initiative aims to promote the development and adoption of low-carbon technologies in various sectors, including cement, chemicals, and transportation.
- Natural Capital Protocol: This initiative aims to provide a standardized framework for businesses to measure and value their impacts and dependencies on natural capital.
- Reporting matters: This initiative provides guidance and tools for companies to improve their sustainability reporting and disclosure.
- Circular Economy: The WBCSD is working on promoting a circular economy by reducing waste and maximizing the use of resources.
- Sustainable Development Goals: The organization works on aligning its initiatives and projects with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to ensure that businesses contribute to achieving the SDGs.