Training and Development: Concept and Importance
Training and Development
In simple terms, training and development refers to the imparting of specific skills, abilities and knowledge to an employee. A formal definition of training development is a it is any attempt to improve current or future employee performance by increasing an employee’s ability to perform through learning, usually by changing the employee’s attitude or increasing his or her skills and knowledge. The need for training & development is determined by the employee’s performance deficiency.
Importance of Training and Development
- Optimum Utilization of Human Resources Training and Development helps in optimizing the utilization of human resource that further helps the employee to achieve the organizational goals as well as their individual goals.
- Development of Human Resources
Training and Development helps to provide an opportunity and broad structure for the development of human resources’ technical and behavioral skills in an organization. It also helps the employees in attaining personal growth.
- Development of skills of employees Training and Development helps in increasing the job knowledge and skills of employees at each level. It helps to expand the horizons of human intellect and an overall personality of the employees.
- Productivity Training and Development helps in increasing the productivity of the employees that helps the organization further to achieve its long-term goal.
- Team spirit Training and Development helps in inculcating the sense of team work, team spirit, and inter-team collaborations. It helps in inculcating the zeal to learn within the employees.
- Organization Culture Training and Development helps to develop and improve the organizational health culture and effectiveness. It helps in creating the learning culture within the organization.
- Organization Climate Training and Development helps building the positive perception and feeling about the organization. The employees get these feelings from leaders, subordinates, and peers.
- Quality Training and Development helps in improving upon the quality of work and work-life.
- Healthy work environment Training and Development helps in creating the healthy working environment. It helps to build good employee, relationship so that individual goals aligns with organizational goal.
- Health and Safety Training and Development helps in improving the health and safety of the organization thus preventing obsolescence.
- Morale Training and Development helps in improving the morale of the work force.
- Image Training and Development helps in creating a better corporate image.
- Profitability Training and Development leads to improved profitability and more positive attitudes towards profit orientation.
- Training and Development aids in organizational development i.e. Organization gets more effective decision making and problem solving. It helps in understanding and carrying out organizational policies
- Training and Development helps in developing leadership skills, motivation, loyalty, better attitudes, and other aspects that successful workers and managers usually display.