Career Planning encourages individuals to explore and gather information, which enables them to synthesize, gain competencies, make decisions, set goals and take action. It is a crucial phase of human resource development that helps the employees in making strategy for work-life balance.
According to Schermerborn, Hunt, and Osborn, ‘Career planning is a process of systematically matching career goals and individual capabilities with opportunities for their fulfillment’.
Features of Career Planning
- It is an ongoing process.
- It helps individuals develop skills required to fulfill different career roles.
- It strengthens work-related activities in the organization.
- It defines life, career, abilities, and interests of the employees.
- It can also give professional directions, as they relate to career goals.
Objectives of Career Planning
The major objectives of career planning are as follows
- To identify positive characteristics of the employees.
- To develop awareness about each employee’s uniqueness.
- To respect feelings of other employees.
- To attract talented employees to the organization.
- To train employees towards team-building skills.
- To create healthy ways of dealing with conflicts, emotions, and stress.
Benefits of Career Planning
- Career planning ensures a constant supply of promotable employees.
- It helps in improving the loyalty of employees.
- Career planning encourages an employee’s growth and development.
- It discourages the negative attitude of superiors who are interested in suppressing the growth of the subordinates.
- It ensures that senior management knows about the calibre and capacity of the employees who can move upwards.
- It can always create a team of employees prepared enough to meet any contingency.
- Career planning reduces labour turnover.
- Every organization prepares succession planning towards which career planning is the first step.
One thought on “Career Planning”