Role of an individual in prevention of pollution
Direct Role of an Individual involves those functions which are done by individual himself. Since nature cannot solve the problem of pollution on its own basis, it is the duty of man to find means to solve this problem.
Since the cause of pollution is mainly human beings, only they can minimize it by preventing its increase and spread. One can remember the old saying that prevention is better than cure. A man should regulate and reduce the causes of pollution at every step. Some simple principles to reduce the pollution are as follows-
Preventive measures for Air Pollution
- Establish or transfer factories or industries away from residential areas.
- Reduce the use of automobiles and make use of public transport system.
- Keep vehicle filters clean and use only quality fuels.
- Make vehicle’s engine off while taking or standing at any crossing.
- Use CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) as fuel for auto engines instead of liquid petroleum.
- Use self or low noise horns and avoid blowing them unnecessarily.
- Use efficient silencer in vehicles.
- Use of crackers should be avoided.
- Use LPG for cooking instead of wood, coal.
- Do not burn plastics.
- Quit smoking.
- Reduce the use of air conditioners, refrigerators etc.
- Support companies that are committed to sustainable manufacturing practices and reducing pollution in the air.
- Plant trees around our home and in our community that can help to reduce air pollutants.
Preventive measures for Water Pollution
- Sewage disposal is the main cause of water pollution in big cities. One should take care of proper disposal of sewage.
- Sewage should be released to water only after treatment.
- Industrial effluents should be released into water bodies only after proper treatment.
- Use of chemical pesticides, weedicides, insecticides etc. should be minimized. Promote the use of bio-pesticides, fertilizers etc.
- Proper checking of super tankers in the sea in order to prevent oil spillage.
- Use the minimum amount of detergent.
- Use only phosphate free soaps and detergents.
Preventive measures for Solid Waste Pollution
- Divide the domestic wastes into biodegradable and non biodegradable components before discharging
- Biodegradable wastes can be used as fertilizers.
- Non bio degradable waste should be collected and disposed for recycling processes
- One should never allow scattering of domestic wastes
- Recharge batteries rather than using disposable.
- Give items to charity or sell in a yard sale rather than throwing them away.
- Use of cloth bags rather than plastics.
- Buy environmentally friendly electronics.
- Recycle & reuse items rather than sending them to the landfill.
- Ensure the proper disposal of solid wastes.