Investors and traders take on calculated risk as they attempt to profit from transactions they make in the markets. The level of risk undertaken in the transactions is the main difference between investing and speculating.
Whenever a person spends money with the expectation that the endeavour will return a profit, they are investing. In this scenario, the undertaking bases the decision on a reasonable judgment made after a thorough investigation of the soundness that the endeavour has a good probability of success.
But what if the same person spends money on an undertaking that shows a high probability of failure, In this case, they are speculating. The success or failure depends primarily on chance, or on uncontrollable (external) forces or events.
- Fixed Deposits
- Provident Funds
- Gold and Jewellery
- Real Estate
- Private Equity Investments
- Antique Collectibles
- Hedge Fund Investments
- Structured Products
- The yield returns help take care of emergencies such as Medical expenses etc.
- Investing in various financial avenues ensures money growth instead of remaining in the bank account with very modest returns.
- For personal investment, the entire family’s future can be secured, such as the education and marriage expenses of children.
- Inflation can be successfully dealt with. Inflation will keep rising, and savings returns may not necessarily be enough. The value associated with the quantum of money depreciates with rising inflation. The impact of inflation in reducing the value of assets can be controlled by investing and generating returns on the corpus.
- Tax minimization is an additional advantage for governments worldwide to offer benefits to individuals and companies for making investments, mainly if they are associated with the Government of Government-backed institutions.
- It is an attractive way of earning income from accumulated wealth. E.g., rent earned from a real estate investment or stocks that have been purchased.
Investment involves purchase of assets or security hoping it will generate income or expected to appreciate in future. Financial investments include purchasing of bonds or stocks, mutual funds etc. the word investment is not only limited to the finance world; it can be used in personal lives as well.
Investments make sure earned money is productive and it being productive is the important aspect in the financial aspect. Investments are divided into fixed income where rate of return is pre specified (bonds, preference shares) and variable income where rate of return is not pre specified (equity shares etc.)
Some of the traditional investments are gold and jewellery, provident funds, fixed deposits etc. and some of the alternative investments are antique collectibles, structured products, private equity investments etc.
In finance, speculation is the purchase of an asset (a commodity, goods, or real estate) with the hope that it will become more valuable shortly. (It can also refer to short sales in which the speculator hopes for a decline in value.)
Many speculators pay little attention to the fundamental value of a security and instead focus purely on price movements. In principle, speculation can involve any tradable good or financial instrument. Speculators are particularly common in the markets for stocks, bonds, commodity futures, currencies, fine art, collectibles, real estate, and derivatives.
Speculators play one of four primary roles in financial markets, along with hedgers, who engage in transactions to offset some other pre-existing risk, arbitrageurs who seek to profit from situations where fungible instruments trade at different prices in different market segments, and investors who seek profit through long-term ownership of an instrument’s underlying attributes.
|Definition||Buying an asset with the hope of getting returns over the period of time.||Risky financial transaction with the hope to earn decent profits at very quick time|
|Time Period||Long 1 year-May be till Retirement||Very-Very short minutes, Hours, Days etc.|
|Expected Return||Overall moderate||Highest desire|
|Profit from||Value change||Price change|